Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Today is a day to be sad


I've been taking a Design in clay class since this semester started. (it's like an intro into clay) And I've been loving it! It's the best class, who doesn't wanna play in the clay for 80 minutes?!?! So when we finally were assigned and animal block project (making an object from one hunk, not attaching pieces) no one was more excited than me! I was making a Sea turtle! A very big, very detailed sea turtle. I've spent the last month working on it, pulling the edges out draping the shell just right, and then letting it dry and etching in wrinkles on the neck, putting in the face details (it looks like crush from finding nemo) and etching the shell detail onto the head, legs and feet, and shell (which took forever) Finally finished it got put into the kiln (after i made holes for all air to escape, there were absolutely NO air bubbles)and after a slow firing for about 12 hours, the kiln began to cool down, and i was so very excited.
During my lunch period, my clay teacher came looking for me, said she had some bad news. I thought it was about my photo's not making it into the district catalog,so i asked and she covered her face in her hands and i knew, i said "is it my turtle?" and she nodded and led me to the kiln. I peeked inside and saw complete devastation, the biggest piece was no larger than a quarter. And mind you, this turtle was HUGE very big bigger than my dog.(see my art portfolio, click the link at the top of the page) It was horrid, and plus whatever else was in there with my turtle was gone too. We have no idea why it happened, either. I know i know it sounds crazy, whats the big deal its just a turtle. But my friends, this turtle was my baby (not in a crazy way) i worked so hard on that and it was so EPIC i was about to get a one hundred, i was going to paint sun and moon and stars on its back and the tree of life (ironic now huh?) and now i can't! And so, today is a day to mourn the loss of crush, the best damn clay sea turtle ever in existence. :( The above picture is from the first week of the project, i was just starting his face.

2 comments:

nicole said...

oh I'm so sorry!! This post almost made me cry!!!;(

Kalika Brooke said...

I know right!? But it's okay he is being salvaged. We pulled out all the pieces and the top of his shell and his belly are completely shattered, but his head and fins and like the rim of the shell are okay, so he's been hot glued back together, he's sorta like a turtle wreath now, i'm still going to paint him, he just will never be the same:( And i totally did cry.